Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We’re a high-growth tech company changing the retirement industry. We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors. Most recently, by funding from BlackRock as well as many other top investors: TPG (The Rise Fund) with SoftBank led our Series D, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
Are you ready to join our amazing engineering team ?
As an engineering organization, we seek to redefine the retirement services space with software that drives toward an effortless, efficient, scalable and highly reliable cloud based experience. Joining our team requires passion for ownership - after all, this is what enables our users’ success.
How we do it:
- We value continuous improvement - we care about documentation, security, durability, not just throwing features over the wall.
- We help each other be better engineers - we leave things better than we found it.
- We aspire to collaborate seamlessly - we ensure our software is improving the customer experience.
You are passionate about designing and delivering highly scalable and reliable service oriented architectures. You’re comfortable with the lifecycle of feature and service development including data modeling, component design, sizing, building prototypes and gaining buy-in from technical and business stakeholders. You are a mentor for senior engineers in your organization and enjoy coaching them toward improving effectiveness and technical capabilities. You are knowledgeable in the areas of transaction processing, automation engines, reporting, integrations and cloud based technologies. You have conducted detailed performance analysis of systems and have designed scalable databases(both SQL and Nosql). You are a highly collaborative team player who is willing to both learn from as well as coach your teammates. You are committed to continuous learning and improvement.
About the Role
This is a highly impactful, hands-on, senior level technical leadership role where the successful candidate will drive the technical direction for our organization of over 20 engineers across 4 agile teams. This includes providing technical guidance and mentorship to our senior engineers and technical leads. The role involves defining and refining our architecture, processes and best practices across our organization. As this is a hands-on role, the successful candidate will collaborate with domain experts, technical leads and engineers to design, build, test, and own systems and processes for servicing 401(k) plans and making our customers happy. As reliability and performance are key to earning our customers’ trust, the role includes owning the overall robustness of our area and extending our system’s reliability, scalability, observability and maintainability.
What you get to do every day
- Define forward looking architectures through creation of designs, establishing tradeoffs in cost vs value and gaining buy in from key technical, product and business stakeholders.
- Drive the delivery of prototypes, technical standards, project plans and roadmaps that align with the product vision of our organization and in conjunction with technical leads.
- Coach and mentor senior level engineers in our organization to help raise the bar in innovation, efficiency and technical capability.
- Deliver features and enhancements that improve complex processes and systems to make them more robust, higher performance and require less human intervention
- Collaborate with other engineers and stakeholders to share knowledge and build expertise
- Raise the bar of our team’s standards resulting in cleaner, well documented and higher quality code.
- Model and teach key behaviors for owning and delivering systems that are fast, horizontally scalable and reliable.
- Speak up and advocate for forward looking architectures and designs that minimize human intervention while keeping development costs incremental.
What you bring to the role
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience designing, building and maintaining large scale backend software products and systems.
- Expert at designing and building modular distributed applications to support an extremely rapidly growing customer base(100x)
- Solid understanding of the current landscape of auto-scaling cloud technologies and efficient usage of compute, storage, network and virtualization technologies. (preferably AWS)
- You enjoy influencing cross-team standards, practices, and tools by modeling behaviors and demonstrating outcomes.
- You can clearly articulate the business benefits that result from technical decisions.
- You enjoy mentoring other engineers and helping them grow technically. You often have become a key go-to person in your company, even on projects outside your project area.
- You have delivered large scale backend systems including ingesting and processing data at significant scale, managed elastic workloads using queue/worker and streaming architectures.
- You have experience migrating to modern scalable technologies from monolithic systems and databases while maintaining high reliability and availability.
- Strong desire to learn, exchange feedback and grow - from our internal legacy and futuristic technical designs, to retirement domains and workflows that are critical for our business.
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - The salary range target for the role seniority described in this job description is $230,000 - $260,000. Final offer amounts depend on multiple factors including candidate experience and expertise, geographic location, compensation/equity mix, and market data. This position may also be eligible for additional incentives such as equity awards, short-term incentives, or sales compensation.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Heath Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; annual wellness stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
- The vast majority of our positions can be 100% remote
We’re a great place to work (but don’t take our word for it)
Here’s a list of our awards and accolades:
- Certified as a Great Place To Work® (2023)
- Best Places to Work by Built In (2023)
- A Top Company by Y Combinator (2020-2023)
- America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes (2020-2022)
- Inc. Fastest Growing Companies (2021)
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures