Senior Software Engineer
Sunnyside is the #1 platform for mindful drinking.
Nearly one in three US adults are categorized as excessive drinkers, yet fewer than 1% get help to improve their drinking habits. We know why.
There's a huge gap in the alcohol health market for the millions of consumers who enjoy drinking and have no desire to quit entirely, yet could nonetheless benefit from building a healthier relationship with alcohol.
Sunnyside fills this gap with a digital therapeutic proven to help anyone who regularly drinks improve their overall health and wellness by changing their relationship with alcohol. We take a differentiated approach by focusing on moderation and mindfulness rather than complete sobriety, providing a much-needed alternative for the millions of adults looking to cut back.
We've got a rapidly growing base of highly engaged paying customers, a vibrant member community, best-in-class engagement and strong retention. And we're just getting started.
Just as Calm built a billion dollar business by opening a new popular wellness category around proactive mental health, we'll do the same for alcohol-related wellness.
We just closed our $11.5M Series A and are backed by top investors including Motley Fool Ventures, Will Ventures, Uncork Capital, Adjacent VC, Nir Eyal, Mike Lee (founder of MyFitnessPal), and James Park (founder of Fitbit). We're perfectly positioned to establish ourselves as the category leader in the growing mindful drinking space. Help us make it happen.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help us take our product experience to the next level, support our growing base of members, and develop tools and solutions to help scale the efficiency of our engineering team. Your work will span the entire stack, from backend services and data stores to frontend client experiences and APIs. Our ideal candidate has strong backend expertise with some degree of frontend experience and would be excited to have the opportunity to own and build new features end-to-end.
This role will also involve contributing to core architecture, shared libraries, and automation. After the first few months of onboarding, you will be expected to share on-call responsibilities as part of our PagerDuty rotation.
This is a unique opportunity to get involved in the early stages of a startup that is defining a new wellness category while substantially impacting the health and wellness of many people in our mindful drinking community.
About our stack
We primarily use TypeScript on both the backend and frontend. We use NestJS for all backend services, NextJS/MaterialUI/React for web frontend, React Native for iOS, and TypeORM on MySQL, Redis, and MongoDB.
You are scrappy and entrepreneurial and have excellent judgment around what needs to be done now versus what can wait for the future. You thrive in ambiguity and love pushing the boundaries of what's technically possible while keeping sight of the practical need to move quickly and ship quality code. You are excited to help the team get new features out the door and bring a customer-centric ownership mindset to your work. You can identify important problems and align your work with company priorities even when no one tells you exactly what to do.
Startup experience is not required, but understanding what may be required, especially during the early days, is necessary. This will be a fast-paced, exciting, fulfilling role, and you will have the opportunity to grow in your scope of responsibility as the company grows.
We're a mission-driven company with a passion for this space, and we are looking to build a team of engineers who can develop deep empathy for our users and are genuinely excited about the problems we are solving for them.
You will be successful in this role by:
- Defining high-level architecture, designing and implementing software solutions, owning deployment and release of your work, and supporting the post-release lifecycle of our products.
- Collaborating closely with our Product, Growth, and Customer Experience teams to ensure that your work meets requirements, and then working with the team to address bugs and issues as they come up.
- Creating platform-level software solutions that help scale the efficiency of our team, such as API library wrappers, caching systems, general queue infrastructure, and command-line level automation.
- Collaborating with the Engineering team to own our product's uptime, reliability, performance, and observability.
- Mentoring and supporting other engineers on our team in your areas of expertise.
We're excited about you because:
- You have 5+ years of professional software development experience, ideally in a B2C company.
- You have expertise in scaling production systems and services supporting a large and growing user base.
- You have shipped complete user-facing features end-to-end, from backend to frontend.
- You are comfortable working with infrastructure automation using technologies such as Pulumi or Terraform, and you know your way around build systems and Continuous Integration environments.
- You have experience being on-call and working with observability tooling.
- Bonus: You have experience building frontend experiences and components with React or similar frameworks.
- Bonus: You have early-stage startup experience (Pre-seed, Seed, or Series A).
- Try Sunnyside at https://www.sunnyside.co or on the App Store
- Read reviews on the App Store