Senior Backend Engineer (EU)
Fountain is the market leader in high volume hiring with solutions that enable customers to get ahead of their hiring goals. Fountain’s all-in-one software allows companies to find and hire the right candidates faster. Our automated and customizable platform provides a seamless applicant experience while ensuring organizations have pipelines full of hourly talent who are ready to work.
Hundreds of customers, including Stitch Fix, GoPuff, Fetch, and sweetgreen, use Fountain to hire over 3 million workers annually in more than 75 countries.
In 2022, we closed $185M in our Series C, led by Softbank and B Capital, which 4.5Xed our valuation. Join our growing team of collaborative, compassionate, and unconventional Fountaineers as we empower our customers to exceed their hiring goals and open opportunities for the hourly workforce.
As a senior backend software engineer, your responsibilities include designing, developing, and maintaining the Worker Experience solution's backend and reviewing and coaching developers in their growth. As squad leader, you'll guide a product team of 2 to 6 developers through the entire product cycle, from planning and development to maintenance. You have a proven product crafting experience, leadership skills, and a strong technical background in backend, and architecture.
The Worker Experience team is divided into product squads, each autonomous in their implementation and accountable for developing new products using a product-led growth approach. New products are regularly released with a focus on product-based software development, which requires you to be comfortable with it.
We are a fairly new team and product in the company. As such, we operate with considerable agility and speed. You will be expected to take decisions with many unknowns, and have a lot of freedom to do so. In fact, you will be expected to operate not as one does in a larger organization, but with the autonomy that comes with building an early-stage product.
The role requires collaboration in a widely international organization, across time zones, continents, and cultures (Western and Northern Europe, USA, South Africa, India, and more ongoing).
Your integration into the team will occur in two phases. Firstly, you will join the existing European squad as a senior backend developer for a period of 3 to 6 months to adopt the team's operating principles and technologies. Then, you will lead your own squad.
Location: you remotely work from a time zone included in UTC ± 4 hours.
What you’ll be doing:
- Design, develop, test, and maintain backend features
- Collaborate to the enhancement of the core stack technologies and architecture
- Review and pair with other developers’ work
- Plan and be accountable for your product delivery scheduling
- Ensure the quality, durability, operation, and security of your product
- Lead, train, and coach your squad fellows
- Closely collaborate with the product team all along your product life cycle
- Implement and keep the stack in best practices and state-of-the-art pragmatic boundaries
- Clear-sightly report for your product scope, planning, and team members to the hierarchy
What you should bring:
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering.
- Proven experience in product-oriented software development.
- Significant experience in engineering team leadership.
- Strong technical background in software development and architecture, TypeScript, and cloud-first solutions.
- Capacity to operate independently and confidently, even when dealing with fluid situations and incomplete information.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, in English, to effectively collaborate with the team; French-speaking skills are also valued.
Nice to Have:
- Past positions in startups and international contexts will be appreciated.
- Knowledge of event-driven architecture, serverless architectures, high volume architectures, API strategies, MongoDB, AWS, micro-services, web security, and Agile methods are very welcome.
Even if you do not meet all the requirements above, we still encourage you to apply for this position. While we try to be thorough with our prerequisites, not everything about you as a candidate can be condensed into a list of bullet points. What do you have to lose?
Fountain offers an incredibly unique work environment. We employ a diverse team all over the world. Each Fountaineer is given the freedom to do their best work from wherever they choose. We also understand the importance of in-person connections and hold in-person meetings with your team and meet annually as an organization to build our relationships and focus on the future of moving Fountain Forward.
The benefits we offer in the United States include competitive health plans and a retirement plan. Some Fountain-wide perks offered to all employees across the globe include a flexible vacation policy, paid holidays, monthly lunch stipends, annual allowances for ongoing education related to your profession and career advancement, along with home office, cell phone, and wellness reimbursements. Fountain is a global employer, so some benefit offerings will vary from country to country.
Fountain is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status.