Backend Engineer, Infrastructure (San Francisco)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, April 30, 2023
Front is on a mission to enable better relationships at scale. Relationships are everything in business, but they’re hard to maintain as a business grows because traits like trust, compassion, and empathy are human qualities that have been difficult for technology to scale. We’ve reimagined the way businesses communicate by bringing customer conversations to the center of one’s focus. Today, nearly 8,000 businesses have discovered that they can still grow their business and keep the human touchFront is on a mission to make work happier with the first-ever customer communication hub.
With $204M in funding, Front is backed by Sequoia Capital and other leading venture capital firms, as well as independent investors including top executives of Atlassian, Okta, Qualtrics, Zoom, and PagerDuty. Front has received numerous Great Place to Work accolades, including Y Combinator's list of Top Companies in 2023, #4 on Fortune’s Best Workplaces in the Bay Area™, Inc. Magazine's 2022 Best Workplaces list, Forbes Best Startup Employers 2022 List, and Best workplaces for Millennials 2022 list.
Through building tools and products for other engineers, our infrastructure team acts as a team multiplier - think auto-scaling, horizontal sharding, scalable storage systems, application performance monitoring, and more. We are in the early phases of building out our next generation tenancy architecture that will support a scale orders of magnitude what we can today. Curious? Talk to us, we’d love to tell you more.
What will you be doing?
- Design and implement a new Kubernetes staging environment that engineers can spin up in under a minute
- Build tools to scale developer workflows for a >75 person engineering team, for example, schema migration automation tool to run online MySQL migrations across a large number of production database shards
- Building blocks of our next generation tenancy architecture, the foundation of our 100x scaling plan
- Troubleshoot and resolve low-level bugs and issues, e.g. memcached throughput exceeding AWS caps, network partitions in our AWS VPC
What skills and experience do you need?
- Product mindset, we’re a product company on a mission to “advance how people work”
- Industry experience building highly available, large-scale distributed systems at a large-scale internet service
- Track record of launching and delivering projects with some level of ambiguity
- Understand the trade-offs in employing different engineering solutions to a problem, valuing pragmatism over idealism
- Ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, collaborative, and high-growth environment
- Full professional English proficiency
- Experience scaling data stores such as MySQL and Elasticsearch
- Advanced Linux systems engineering skills
- Experience with Kubernetes and Docker
- Experience operating asynchronous work queues, high-volume storage systems or high-throughput systems
2-day a week hybrid preferred, but this position is open to Remote US and Canada
The US hiring salary range for this full-time position is $132,000 - $170,000 USD. Individual compensation packages are based on factors unique to each candidate, including job-related skills, experience, qualifications, work location, training, and market conditions. At Front, we take a market-based approach to pay. In addition to cash compensation (base salary, which may include commissions or overtime pay where applicable), Fronteers are eligible to receive equity in the company. This resource will provide additional information on our location zone designations. If you have questions, please speak with a member of our recruiting team for additional information.
Zone 1: USD $132,000 - $170,000
Zone 2: USD $119,000 - $153,000
Zone 3: USD $112,000 - $145,000
These ranges may be modified by Front at our sole discretion in the future.
What we offer
✨ Competitive salary
🤝 Equity (we are post-series D & backed by some of the best VCs in the US)
🏥 Private health insurance fully covered by Front
💪 Flexible Fridays - learn more here!
🏡 Flexibility to work from home 3 days/week (unless posted as a full-remote role)
🛋 Mental health support with Modern Health
🍼 Family planning support with Maven
Front provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age or disability.
See more open positions at Front
Something looks off?