Executive Assistant and SF Office Manager
Human Interest is on a mission to ensure that people in all lines of work have access to retirement benefits.
Nearly half of all working Americans are not saving enough for their future. Too often it’s because they are employed by a company that doesn’t offer a retirement plan. Human Interest is changing that by making it affordable and accessible for small and medium-sized businesses to offer employees a path to financial independence through retirement savings.
We’re a high-growth tech company changing the retirement industry. We’ve raised $500M and are backed by leading investors. Most recently, by funding from BlackRock as well as many other top investors: TPG (The Rise Fund) with SoftBank led our Series D, Glynn Capital, NewView Capital, USVP, Wing, Uncork, and others.
About the role
This position will play a dual role as an Executive Assistant and Office Manager at our San Francisco headquarters. Reporting to the Chief People Officer & General Counsel, you will devote approximately 60 percent of your time to providing executive support to Human Interest’s Executive Team, including the CEO, CFO, and CRO. You will also serve as the administrative liaison with Human Interest’s Board of Directors. Additionally, you will also serve as the Office Manager, devoting approximately 40 percent time to this function.
This role will require you to be in the office five days a week. Our corporate office is located in the Financial District of San Francisco at 655 Montgomery Street.
The successful candidate must be highly organized and enjoy working within an environment that is mission-driven, fast-paced, results-oriented, and global in nature. The ideal individual will have the ability to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, strong written and verbal communication skills, good administrative skills, the ability to be proactive and resourceful, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities.
What you get to do every day
Executive Support Meetings/Travel:
- Manages an active calendar of appointments for the CEO, CFO and CRO.
- Works closely and effectively with the CEO to keep them well informed of upcoming commitments and follows up appropriately
- Schedules, organizes, and coordinates the organization’s weekly Senior Management Team, monthly all-staff, and occasional ad-hoc meetings convened by the CEO. This includes the coordination, preparation, and distribution of agendas and materials, as well as taking, finalizing, and distributing meeting minutes
- Arranges complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas, and compiles documents for related meetings.
- Serves as a “gatekeeper” for the Executive Team, acting as a conduit for smooth communication between the Executive Team and internal departments
- Prioritizes conflicting needs; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures
Research, Correspondence, Communication, and Record Keeping:
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the CEO, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature; determines appropriate course of action, referral, or response
- Composes routine and more complex written correspondence, some of which is confidential in nature, along with presentations, newsletter pieces, and reports. Screens incoming correspondence and responds to routine external correspondence, particularly when the Executive Team member is traveling
- Establishes and maintains corporate and CEO paper and electronic records and files
Board of Director (BOD) Administrative Support:
- Serves as the administrative liaison between the Company and BOD, including responding appropriately to all information requests from the BOD and communicating with the BOD on behalf of the CEO as necessary
- Assists in the planning and coordination of all Board (including Committee) meetings; maintains up-to-date board contact information; prepares meeting agendas and Board resolutions; handles logistics (e.g., call-in information, travel, accommodation, meeting venue, food) for Board members attending Board meetings; prepares and distributes Board books and related materials
- Creates timeline, to include deadlines, for preparation of meeting materials for each board meeting; communicates with the CEO and works with senior management staff regarding status of timeline and adherence to deadlines
- Familiar with Board and corporate documents, including by-laws, registration, and other legal requirements for a nonprofit to operate; develops and maintains a schedule of required
- Manages day-to-day office SF operations, including administration, kitchen and supply stocking, booking conference rooms, postage/shipping, office inventory, organizing workspaces, and facilities improvements
- Organizes office workflow by scheduling and coordinating staff, communicating essential information, and organizing/planning meetings and events with internal and external parties
- Manages company reception to ensure timely and tactful telephone, email, face-to-face, and mail communications with internal and external contacts at all levels
- Develops, implements, and documents administrative systems to be followed by Human Interest employees
- Maintains an updated contact list of office vendors and tracks service requests and purchase requests to ensure the provision of efficient and cost-effective services.
- Assists in developing and maintaining well-organized administrative files
- Other duties as assigned
What you bring to the role
- At least five years of work experience, three to five of which has been in supporting C-Level Executives, preferably in a startup
- Experience serving as administrative liaison with Boards of Directors
- Three to five years of experience as an office manager
- Strong organizational skills that reflect the ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks and be adaptable to competing demands
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with Human Interest employees, Board members, external partners, and donors
- Expert-level written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated proactive approach to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Forward-looking thinker who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions
- Highly resourceful, with the ability to work independently and effectively
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high-performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proficient in Google Suite (Mail, Calendar, Docs, Sheets), Zoom, and Slack
Why you will love working at Human Interest
Mission - Highly collaborative startup dedicated to supporting employee engagement and growth. It’s an opportunity to help solve one of the biggest unsolved problems in America: saving for retirement.
Culture - Our operating principles define how we come together as a team to do our work. They reflect Human Interest’s unique view on what’s important and what’s right. Documenting this core aspect of our culture helps employees make good decisions on their own. It also helps candidates considering career opportunities critically evaluate whether they will thrive at Human Interest.
- Customer obsession
- Long-term orientation
- Autonomous and accountable teams
- An escalating bar for talent and performance
- Fundamental optimism
Compensation - At Human Interest, there are a number of factors that are used to determine the appropriate pay range for each position. We take into account the cost of labor for each position in various markets across the US. The base salary for this position spans $90,000 - $130,000. The salary that we offer to a new employee within this range is based on their location within the US, their relevant job-related skills, and experience. At Human Interest, base salary is one component of the overall Total Rewards package. Depending on the position, additional compensation components such as bonus, commission, and equity may be offered. All of our employees are offered a robust suite of physical, financial and mental wellness benefits.
- A great 401(k) plan: Our own! Our 401(k) includes a dollar-for-dollar employer match up to 4% of compensation (immediately vested) and $0 plan fees
- Top-of-the-line health plans, as well as dental and vision insurance
- Generous PTO and parental leave policies
- Lyra - Enhanced Mental Health Support for Employees and dependents
- Carrot - Fertility healthcare and family forming benefits
- Candidly - Student loan resource to help you and your family plan, borrow, and repay student debt
- Monthly work-from-home stipend; quarterly lifestyle stipend
- Employee Resource Groups including Veterans, Lift Ev’ry Voice, Pride, LatinX, Families, and Women in Tech
- Fun online and regional events and celebrations and department and company offsites
We’re a great place to work (but don’t take our word for it)
Here’s a list of our awards and accolades:
- Certified as a Great Place To Work® (2023)
- Best Places to Work by Built In (2023)
- A Top Company by Y Combinator (2020-2023)
- America’s Best Startup Employers by Forbes (2020-2022)
- Inc. Fastest Growing Companies (2021)
Human Interest is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran or military status, pregnancy, or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Human Interest employees must adhere to the Company’s security policies and Code of Ethics.
Please note Human Interest does not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. We will not consider resumes from vendors including and without limitation search firms, staffing agencies, fee-based referral services, and recruiting agencies.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We comply with CCPA guidelines. See more: https://humaninterest.com/disclosures