Virtual Mission Manager
Posted on Thursday, October 26, 2023
Wanna Join the Adventure?
Loft Orbital’s mission is to to simplify access to space, streamlining the process to develop and deploy mission tasking to our space infrastructure.
As a Virtual Mission Manager, you will lead the development of these missions, working with our customers to scope, plan, test, and deploy their applications on orbit. The ideal candidates have a dedication to excellence, excitement for space operations, and a passion for customer success.
You’ll provide extreme clarity to our internal teams, focusing their efforts on efficient solutions to achieve mission success. You will use your leadership skills, technical aptitude, and programmatic judgement to drive win-win solutions. Your ability to predict issues and see around corners will help us stay ahead of the curve and mitigate risks. And you’ll partner with our Customer Operations team to ensure a smooth transition from mission development to on-orbit operations and, ultimately, achieve mission success.
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About This Role:
- Assess scope, level of effort, and risk of developing and deploying software-based customer missions
- Develop mission development plans and schedules
- Organize, task, and lead the mission development team
- Oversee mission deployment and successful transition to customer operations
- Report internally and externally on mission development status, issues, and risks
- Organize and lead customer meetings and technical exchanges
- Technical project, program, or mission management experience working with cross-functional development teams
- Excellent communication, organization, and leadership skills in a technical environment
- Ability to operate proactively and autonomously with demonstrated creative and critical thinking capabilities
- Ability to filter, distill, and communicate key information for the right audience and craft effective communication artifacts
- Knowledge of satellite on-orbit operations and mission sets
- Experience with software development and deployment
Nice to Haves:
- Specific experience in embedded software development and deployment in an operational environment
- Work with international teams and customers
- Hands-on experience in satellite on-orbit operations
- Experience with edge or cloud computing systems
- Demonstrated knowledge in one or more satellite payload applications: communication, sensing, imaging, etc…
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- Equity, we want you to have an active role in our success
- Up to 35 days of Paid Time Off (vacations & RTT ) and flexible working hours, we want you to be at your best
- Health and life insurance, we care about your health
- Lunch Vouchers, because let’s be honest, we love food! (we even have a slack channel about it #loft-gourmand)
- Cross-office travel opportunities between San Francisco, Colorado, and Toulouse to learn from our differences
- Company and team off-sites and many other events to work & celebrate together
- Relocation assistance to Toulouse when applicable
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.