Blocks Platform Team Lead
Looking Glass Factory
Who we are
Hi! We’re Looking Glass — a company based out of Brooklyn & Hong Kong — and we make holograms.
We are a small (and growing!) passionate team of artists, inventors, and engineers building a completely new interface paradigm - one that is three-dimensional, shared, and magical. To help us expand our online services, from our main website to sharing holograms on the internet, we’re seeking a talented senior full-stack engineer to support the development effort.
Why we need you
We are working to build a future that is more Star Trek and less Ready Player One. To accomplish this mission, we’re building a diverse team of people from different backgrounds and experiences. As such, we encourage women, people of color, and others from historically marginalized groups to apply.
Lastly, given that we are iterating on products using custom hardware, we prefer candidates local to New York, but a fully remote position is an option for highly qualified candidates.
The ideal candidate...
- Can delegate tasks to team members and review their PRs
- Will work closely with our marketers, designers, and customer support staff to iterate on our web platform
- Has a track record of building products end-to-end in environments of high ambiguity. You're known as someone who owns problems and outcomes
- Prioritizes product over process — shipping beautiful products is more important than checking all the boxes
- Shows bias for action. We like learning as quickly as possible, so we embrace failing fast to refine our code, systems, and processes rapidly
- Is pragmatic and can see the bigger picture; you're able to reason about prioritization and scope
- Has experience building great quality user experiences for customers
- Blocks is a modern serverless stack: Next.js + Vercel, Postgres + Prisma, React + GraphQL, Bull, Modal, and AWS S3.
- We're using Auth0 for authentication, Sentry for log aggregation, and Axiom for real-time log analysis
- Our marketing sites use Webflow and Shopify
You’ll need these qualifications:
- Experience delivering web development projects from start to finish
- Experience with serverless frameworks and infrastructure (e.g. Next.js, Vercel, TypeScript, React)
- Experience with managing databases and ORMs
- Experience with building and maintaining user authentication systems and security
- Experience designing, developing, and maintaining scalable backend systems and APIs
- Experience working with stakeholders to understand, document, develop, and explain systems and APIs that meet their requirements
- Experience deploying custom, containerized systems to cloud platforms (AWS, GCP, Azure)
- Experience writing stable, testable, and scalable code to ensure high-quality services to our users
As a small, ambitious team, we're looking for someone flexible and multidisciplinary. Here are some other skills that are nice to have, but not required:
- Experience managing a web product, or experience managing a full-stack web development team
- Experience with three.js/react-three-fiber or similar WebGL frameworks and WebXR
- Experience with Electron.js
- Experience with Webflow or Shopify
- Some knowledge of graphics rendering principles and concepts
- Experience with other backend languages like PHP, Python, Ruby, Java, .NET, etc.
- Salary Range: $140k-$180k
- Health care stipend
- Stock options
- 401(k) plan with employer matching benefit
- Three weeks of paid vacation per year
- Paid sick leave days