Director of Finance
Accounting & Finance
Posted on Thursday, December 14, 2023
Marco Polo is a video chat app created for one simple and significant purpose—to help people feel close.
We are hiring a Director of Finance to help us evaluate the health of our business and help us make data-based decisions to move our company forward. A great candidate for this role has experience with the freemium/subscription business model, working with revenue streams from the Google Play and Apple App stores, and operating in a startup environment.
In this position, you will:
- Own the business numbers: Be the go-to source and reporting owner for all financial and operational metrics that we use to manage the business, including how the company has performed in the past and where the company is going in the future. You’ll also be preparing financial reports for month, quarter, and YTD results, providing understanding of business drivers and risks to executives and board members. While doing this you’ll introduce and evolve best-practice systems to our company (e.g., quarterly forecasting, monthly budgeting, contractor agreements, etc.)
- Build and evolve our models: You’ll develop and adapt financial models, introducing greater sophistication and detail as the company grows and evolves. You’ll also be responsible for preparing financial forecasts, including scenario planning and sensitivity analysis, that will help us make key business decisions.
- Manage the company’s financial partners: You’ll vet and implement stage-appropriate technology and partner solutions for Marco Polo’s financial and operational needs (e.g., budget management, benefits management, expense tracking, etc.). You’ll also oversee outside vendors, including tax, audit and accounting to ensure alignment with the budgets that you’ll create.
- Partner cross-functionally: You will collaborate effectively with teammates in marketing, product, and engineering to understand the key drivers in the business and help with decision-making. You’ll develop necessary reporting mechanisms across the organization and share comparative operational results and insights.
Ideally, you have:
- Passion for finance and accounting- including 10+ years of relevant experience - and you love it so much that you can’t help but think in spreadsheets.
- Experience working in an online consumer subscription company and B2B or B2C marketplaces.
- Orientation toward details - even your spreadsheet sanity checks have sanity checks.
- Knowledge of how to scale with a company and don’t let models, systems, or processes get stale when a company outgrows them.
- Experience working in a fast-paced, flexible environment with a lot of moving parts.
- Evidence of effective collaboration skills to work successfully in a 100% remote team environment; this includes a mentality of humility and open-hearted listening.
You’ll love working here because:
- We’re a purpose-driven company making a difference in the lives of millions of people.
- We have been doing the remote work thing long before it became necessary.
- We’re good at it and we’ll make sure you are too!
- We move quickly so you’re constantly learning and things never get stale.
- We know good ideas come from everywhere, so we work to ensure every person feels safe to take risks and think outside of the box.
Benefits and Perks:
- Comprehensive medical, vision and dental coverage plus benefits that support your mental health and emotional well-being.
- Flexible paid time off, generous company holidays and self care days.
- 100% remote, anywhere in North America.
- Stipend for a coworking space.
- A work schedule built to fit your real life.
- Quarterly in-person and virtual team retreats, all expenses paid.
- Compensation: Our cash compensation package is made of up two components - base pay and equity in the company. The target salary for this position is $190,000 to $210,000 per year. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including knowledge, skills, and experience, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Does this sound interesting to you? If so, then we'd love to hear from you. We care deeply about diversity and inclusion at Marco Polo. If you’re on the fence about whether you’re a fit, go ahead and apply! Each application is reviewed by a real, live human who understands that each candidate’s unique lived experience is more valuable than buzzwords on a resume.
A bit about us:
Marco Polo is private video chat for your real relationships - not the entire world. Our video chat app allows you to send a video message at your convenience, and your friend or family member can send back whenever they can. With millions of people already benefiting from this new way of using technology to nurture their relationships, we’re proving that we can reject harmful but profitable business practices and build products that are good for you.
In June 2020, we launched Marco Polo Plus, a subscription plan that offers a premium experience. We aim to be a sustainable business while remaining free in a way that upholds our brand promise to be good for you. Plus delivers on our promise to monetize without ads or selling user data.
Though our backgrounds are diverse, we share a belief—lives flourish when people feel close. That common inspiration keeps us aligned with our purpose as a team, which is scattered across 16 states (so far), coast-to-coast throughout North America.
The distance doesn't slow us down. We keep the engine humming from our homes, co-working spaces, and coffee shops—connecting with daily Zoom calls, and retreats. Whether collaborating through Slack, video calls, or of course Marco Polo, our team knows how to keep connected—it’s what we do best!
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We can add teammates from anywhere in North America.