Technical Documentation Lead
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, June 1, 2023
Memfault is the first observability platform for hardware teams. Today, hardware teams have little insight into how their products are performing, and what issues are driving the majority of in field failures. Using Memfault's SDK and cloud platform, companies such as Logitech, Whoop, and Verkada catch and fix issues before their customers notice them. Memfault was founded by veterans of Pebble, Fitbit, and Oculus, and is backed by fantastic investors such as YCombinator, Uncork Capital, Partech, and Stripes.
We’re looking for a Technical Documentation Lead to join the Developer Experience team to help us up-level developer documentation at Memfault. We believe that technical documentation is a core part of our product and critical to the success of developer tools companies, and this role will grow in importance as we scale the number of customers.
- Write technical documentation, articles, how-to guides, example code, and troubleshooting content to help our customers get the most of Memfault.
- Work with Product and Engineering teams to understand how new and existing features work as they're still being developed.
- Work with our Support team to understand gaps and issues in existing developer documentation.
- Keep our REST API documentation updated as endpoints are rolled out and updated.
- Understand the needs of the customers of Memfault and advocate for them.
- Over time, revamp and rearchitect our documentation in large ways to make it easier to get started with and use Memfault.
- Build out new, update, and verify example code and applications in the documentation.
- Help edit and improve articles and content on our Interrupt blog.
Why you may be a fit
- You are a clear and concise communicator, and have the ability to communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- You are motivated by saving developers time and energy through appropriate and useful content.
- You are fluent with the command line and quickly ramping up on developer tools.
- You enjoy learning. You should be excited to absorb a lot of new, potentially unfamiliar information, through existing content and conversations with your co-workers, and have strong opinions on how best to communicate it to the end-user.
- You value iteration. You believe small improvements can make large impacts.
Even better if you have
- Content online that you can point us to that shows off your talents as a technical writer.
- An interest in learning more about IoT, hardware products, software development.
- Experience documenting APIs.
- You’ve had experience working with Git and GitHub.
- Experience working with Docusaurus, OpenAPI, and Swagger.
People you'll work with
- Tyler Hoffman - (Hiring Manager) Co-Founder, Head of Developer Experience
- Heiko Behrens - Head of Product
- Andie Cockerill - VP Customer Experience
- Noah Pendleton - Lead Solutions Engineer - MCU
- Steve Penna - Lead Solutions Engineer - Android
- Thomas Sarlandie - Lead Solutions Engineer - Linux
- Just to name a few!
If you are hired into our Boston / New York / San Francisco Bay Area work location, the compensation range for this position is between $100,000 and $140,000 based on a full-time schedule. The salary may vary depending on your location and confirmed job-related skills and experience. Incentives such as bonuses may be available for this position for the potential to earn more. For part-time roles, your compensation will be adjusted to reflect your hours.
We offer full benefits (health, vision, dental, 401k), unlimited PTO, and competitive pay and equity packages. Learn more about benefits and our company values - >
We want you (yes, you!) to apply
Research shows that candidates from underrepresented backgrounds often don't apply for roles if they don't meet all the criteria — unlike majority candidates meeting significantly fewer requirements.
We strongly encourage you to apply if you're interested: we'd love to know how you can amplify our team with your unique experience!
Memfault is the first IoT reliability platform that empowers teams to build more robust devices at scale. Today hardware teams have little insight into how their products are performing and what issues are driving the majority of field failures; with Memfault, they can operate with the same speed and agility as software organizations. Companies like Lyft, Logitech, Bose, Whoop, and Verkada use Memfault's performance monitoring, device debugging, and OTA update capabilities to ship fast and build high-quality products. Memfault was founded by veterans of Pebble, Fitbit, and Oculus and is backed by Stripes, Uncork Capital, Partech, the 5G Innovation Lab, S28 Capital, and Y Combinator. Learn more about Careers at Memfault ->
Memfault recently closed a $24M Series B funding round announced on January 24, 2023. Learn more ->