Staff/Principal UX Researcher
Here at Shippo, we are the shipping layer of the internet and we consider ourselves to be one of the core building blocks of e-commerce.
Our mission is to make merchants successful through world class shipping. With our products and solutions, we level the playing field by providing our customers with best-in-class solutions that otherwise wouldn’t be available to them. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, platforms and a variety of logistics infrastructure providers are able to connect to shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. We provide our customers with the most competitive shipping rates, print labels, automated international documents, shipment tracking, facilitate the returns process and more.
How we’ll deliver success:
Shipping doesn’t seem like it should be hard, but it’s often the biggest challenge for small online businesses, especially when they’re competing with expectations set by e-commerce behemoths like Amazon. We need detailed user research to help our designers, product managers, and engineers understand the challenges merchants face and how we can help them even better.
As a user researcher, you’ll work with stakeholders across functions and levels and have impact at all stages of product development, including the company strategy. You may use any number of techniques and methodologies, like field studies, interviews, participatory workshops, contextual inquiry, surveys, usability testing, experiments, and quantitative analysis, just to name a few.
This role will report to the Head of Design, who has years of experience managing and supporting researchers. While we’ve been doing research for a long time, you will be the first full-time researcher. Over time there may be potential to grow into a head of a research team.
Shipping & handling responsibilities:
- Work with designers, product managers, engineers and leaders to identify gaps in our understanding of user needs and design research initiatives to fill those gaps
- Conduct independent research on multiple aspects of products and experiences
- Collect and analyze user behavior using a variety of methods
- Understand and incorporate complex technical and business requirements into research
- Advocate research findings to top leaders and across the company with written reports and live presentations
- Build the research processes to support your own work as well as facilitate the direct research contributions of designers and PM
Do you tick the boxes?
- 7-10 years experience using a wide variety of user research methodologies
- Exceptional communication skills for effective research reporting and presentations
- Relevant bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience)
- Our current focus is primarily on qualitative research, but quant skills are a bonus
What's in the Shippo package?
- Healthcare coverage for medical, dental, and vision (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents). Pets coverage is also available!
- Take-as-much-as-you-need vacation policy & flexible work hours
- Two week-long company wide shutdowns during summer and winter
- 3 Volunteer Days Off (VTOs)
- WFH stipend to set up your home office
- Charity donation match up to $100
- Dedicated programs, coaching, tools, and resources for your professional and career growth as well as an individual learning stipend for your personal and focused growth
- Fun team meetups through our Shippos everywhere program that includes regular team and company off-sites throughout the year as well as gatherings with your local Shippos
Our Compensation Shippolicy:
Here at Shippo, we believe compensation is a custom experience and we are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The standard base pay range for this role is min $183k to a max $248k annual salary. We tend to anchor our pay in the middle of this range ($216k). Since we are focused on hiring Shippos Everywhere, we have 2 US pay ranges, a standard compensation range for the majority of the US and a standard +1 compensation range for those who live in areas where the cost of labor is higher, such as NYC and California.
The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: financial budgets, work experience, training, transferable skills, business needs, and market value. The base pay salary ranges are subject to change and may be modified in the future. Total compensation for this role will include, equity, medical, dental, vision and other benefits noted in our Shippos “package” section.
Sail through the process:
Here at Shippo, we celebrate inclusivity and are committed to creating equal access to opportunities for people from all backgrounds, perspectives and geographies. These values define who we are and everything we do. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shippos in the wild:
Our people, much like the packages we help ship, are all over the world. This means, through our remote-first program, “Shippos Everywhere”, our roles can be based anywhere in the US with the exception of Delaware, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Hawaii, New Mexico and West Virginia and many roles can be based internationally.
For locations outside of the US and Ireland, the employment contracts are powered by Remote.com (all Shippo perks still apply - including equity!). What we want to emphasize is that you can be successful at Shippo regardless of location.
Something looks off?