Senior/Staff Backend Engineer
Before you read on, take a look around you. Everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times before reaching its destination. Global ecommerce sales are expected to total $5.5 trillion worldwide in 2022 and continue growing over the next few years. Here at Shippo, we are the shipping layer of the internet and we consider ourselves to be one of the core building blocks of e-commerce.
Our mission is to make merchants successful through world class shipping. With our products and solutions, we level the playing field by providing our customers with best-in-class solutions that otherwise wouldn’t be available to them. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. We provide our customers with the most competitive shipping rates, print labels, automated international documents, shipment tracking, facilitate the returns process and more.
How we’ll deliver success:
We are looking for a Staff Backend Engineer to join our Internal tooling team! Businesses, partners, customers, and users worldwide rely on Shippo’s integration to a global network of carriers to streamline their fulfillment workflow and we want to protect and respect their privacy. As an Engineer on the tooling team, you will lead efforts around Automating our Privacy requests, how we manage rate card updates from various carriers, build and improve our internal admin capabilities to improve the experience on how we serve our customers and partners.
This role will be based in Brazil (remote work).
Shipping & handling responsibilities:
- Design, implement, test, and deploy software services with high SLAs and that can handle millions of requests a day
- Ensure scalability and maintainability through microservices adoption, decoupling of concerns and data model, queuing of jobs and application layering and container-based software distribution.
- Continue to build out and enhance our CI/CD pipeline for smooth and safe production releases via automated testing and verification.
- Verify and ensure performance and correctness of systems in response time and throughput.
- Design and maintain database schema for large scale and performant services
- Architect systems and refactor existing systems for optimal performance and reuse
- Participate in peer reviews and testing and contribute to automated test suites and in design reviews for new features, products, and systems
- Collaborate with business teams and provide early input to new product ideas and functionality
- Experience being on-call and able to respond quickly to system incidents (AWS, Redis)
- Define scalable business logic
- Define, implement, and monitor operational metrics for the Carriers Library to ensure performance and quality.
- Champion testing procedures and automation in support of vertical and horizontal scale.
- Assist with hands-on work in gathering business requirements, development, and verification.
Do you tick the boxes?
- 8+ years of experience in software development
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with all levels of the organization.
- Past experience and success building and supporting scalable APIs, services, or applications
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills. You are adept at communicating relevant information clearly and concisely.
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success.
- Ability to look ahead to identify opportunities, foster a culture of innovation, and build for scale.
- Coding experience in server-side programming languages (e.g. Go, Python, Java, Ruby) as well as database languages (SQL)
- Experience working with server-side MVC frameworks (e.g. Django, .NET, Spring, Rails, Phoenix)
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Exhibit core behaviors focused on craftsmanship, continuous improvement, and team success
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Bonus if you have:
- Prior experience working or interacting with shipping and/or postal carriers
- Experience using GoLang and Python in production
- Familiarity with microservices architectures
- Experience integrating with APIs that use REST, SOAP, gRPC and other technologies
- Interest and experience in performance tuning, concurrency, microservices, security, data analytics, and web stack
- Experience with Django
- Past experience and success in building scalable APIs or services
- Interest and experience in performance tuning, concurrency, microservices, security, data pipelines, and web stack
- Experience with DevOps tooling such as Docker, Terraform, CircleCI, SumoLogic, PagerDuty, etc
- Experience with AWS/Cloud services such as EC2, S3, Lambda, Route 53, Cloud Formation, Cloudflare, Elastic Beanstalk, IAM, etc.
What's in the Shippo package?
- Healthcare coverage for medical, dental, and vision (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents).
- 3 Volunteer Days Off (VTOs)
- WFH stipend to set up your home office
- Dedicated programs, coaching, tools, and resources for your professional and career growth as well as an individual learning stipend for your personal and focused growth
- Fun team meetups through our Shippos everywhere program that includes regular team and company off-sites throughout the year as well as gatherings with your local Shippos
Our Compensation Shippolicy:
Here at Shippo, we believe compensation is a custom experience and we are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices. The standard base pay range for this role is min $72,000 to a max $108,000 annual salary. We tend to anchor our pay in the middle of this range ($94,000). Since we are focused on hiring Shippos Everywhere, we have different pay ranges for different geographies (the United States, Europe, LatAm, etc.).
The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: financial budgets, work experience, training, transferable skills, business needs, and market value. The base pay salary ranges are subject to change and may be modified in the future. Total compensation for this role will include, equity, medical, dental, vision and other benefits noted in our Shippos “package” section.
Sail through the process:
Here at Shippo, we celebrate inclusivity and are committed to creating equal access to opportunities for people from all backgrounds, perspectives and geographies. These values define who we are and everything we do. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shippos in the wild:
Our people, much like the packages we help ship, are all over the world. This means, through our remote-first program, “Shippos Everywhere”, our roles can be based anywhere in the US with the exception of Delaware, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Hawaii, New Mexico and West Virginia and many roles can be based internationally. For locations outside of the US and Ireland, the employment contracts are powered by Remote.com (all Shippo perks still apply - including equity!). What we want to emphasize is that you can be successful at Shippo regardless of location.