Before you read on, take a look around you. Everything you see has been shipped, often multiple times before reaching its destination. Global ecommerce sales are expected to total $5.5 trillion worldwide in 2022 and continue growing over the next few years. Here at Shippo, we are the shipping layer of the internet and we consider ourselves to be one of the core building blocks of e-commerce.
Our mission is to make merchants successful through world class shipping. With our products and solutions, we level the playing field by providing our customers with best-in-class solutions that otherwise wouldn’t be available to them. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, and platforms are able to connect to shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. We provide our customers with the most competitive shipping rates, print labels, automated international documents, shipment tracking, facilitate the returns process and more.
How we’ll deliver success:
As an Engineering Manager, you will be working closely with leadership to build and manage the engineering org for Shippo as well as scaling the organization through thoughtful hiring, training, and review practices. You will be instrumental in helping to build and maintain a healthy and happy engineering team culture. You will be leading a team responsible for building and maintaining some of the most critical carrier integrations at Shippo like USPS, UPS and FedEx, as well as developing Shippo’s carrier integration technology.
Shipping & handling responsibilities:
- Build, lead, and hire a high-caliber team of software engineers to solve company goals while remaining hands-on. Encourage innovation and foster an environment of continuous improvement. Establish a sense of urgency and direction, set expectations with the team and individuals.
- Work closely with product management, analysts, architects, engineering leads, and business stakeholders to define requirements, guide product and architectural vision, lead key technical and design discussions, and prioritize delivery efforts.
- Iterate quickly in an agile process.
- Advise business leaders by providing data-based strategic direction to identify and address business issues and opportunities.
- Exceptional problem solving skills: demonstrated ability to understand business challenges, structure complex problems, develop solutions.
Do you tick the boxes?
- Must have at least 3+ years of hands-on engineering management experience including managing deliverables, participating with product and design to define MVP, managing performance and growth of reportees and managing stakeholders.
- 5+ years of experience in software development
- Coding experience in backend programming languages (e.g. Python, Go, Java, Ruby)
- Experience working with Backend frameworks (e.g. Django, FastAPI)
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming and familiarity with various design and architectural patterns
- Experience integrating with APIs that use REST, gRPC, SOAP and other technologies
- Experience managing external vendors and integrations with 3rd party APIs
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Deep understanding of customer needs and passion for customer success
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Bonus if you have:
- Coding experience in database languages (SQL)
- Experience working with server-side MVC frameworks (e.g. Django, .NET, Spring, Rails, Phoenix)
- Experience with NoSQL databases (e.g. DynamoDB)
- Experience with queue technologies (e.g. Redis, Celery, NSQ, Kafka)
What's in the Shippo package?
- Medical, dental, and vision healthcare coverage for you and your dependents. Pets coverage is also available!
- Flexible time off policy and work arrangements
- Two x one week company shutdowns
- 3 VTO days for ShippoCares volunteering events
- Annual personal development learning stipend
- Charity donation match up to $100
- We offer up to 12 weeks of paid parental leave for all birthing and non-birthing parents.