Staff Platform Data Engineer
Here at Shippo, we are the shipping layer of the internet and we consider ourselves to be one of the core building blocks of e-commerce.
Our mission is to make merchants successful through world class shipping. With our products and solutions, we level the playing field by providing our customers with best-in-class solutions that otherwise wouldn’t be available to them. Through Shippo, e-commerce businesses, marketplaces, platforms and a variety of logistics infrastructure providers are able to connect to shipping carriers around the world from one API and dashboard. We provide our customers with the most competitive shipping rates, print labels, automated international documents, shipment tracking, facilitate the returns process and more.
How we’ll deliver success:
The Data Team is the backbone of our data infrastructure. Our mission is to empower the organization with reliable, accessible, and actionable data, driving informed decision-making and fostering innovation. We develop data engineering standards, tooling, and best practices. We manage global datasets that cut across the enterprise, ensuring access to all data and driving data intelligence and enrichment. Our purpose is to set the organization up for both immediate impact and sustained future success.
Shipping & handling responsibilities:
- Responsible for the overall data design and modeling across all of the organization's data systems, especially the design of data in the major data platforms (data warehouses, data lakes), with focus on data analytics and data reporting and visualization
- Responsible for data management across multiple data systems: data governance, data mastering, meta-data management, data definitions, symantec-layer design, data taxonomies and ontologies
- Architecting and delivering highly-scalable and flexible, cost-effective enterprise data solutions
- Responsible for helping set the technology strategy and roadmaps for the portfolio of data platforms and services across the organization
- Responsible for data security and compliance
- Designing and documenting data architecture at multiple levels (high-level to detailed) and across multiple views (conceptual, logical, physical, data flow and sequence diagrams)
- Providing active "hands-on" architectural guidance and leadership through the entire lifecycle of development projects
- Translating business requirements into conceptual and detailed technology solutions
- Collaborates closely with partners across the organization including other architects, engineering and product managers, and business partners
- Performing third-party vendor assessments
- Developing and leading proof-of-concepts projects
- Keeping fluent in the industry and marketplace evolution--staying current with vendor product offerings and common and emerging data solutions in use across the industry; continuously learning new data technologies and introducing these into the organization
Do you tick the boxes?
- +12 years of relevant professional experience in Data Engineering related roles.
- Proficiency in SQL, Python, Java, or Scala; familiarity with big data technologies like Hadoop, Spark, Kafka; and hands-on experience with cloud platforms like AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Data Architecture & Design: Expertise in architecting scalable enterprise data solutions.
- Strategic Thinking: Ability to align technical solutions with overarching business goals.
- Leadership & Collaboration: Proven experience in leading and collaborating on large-scale data projects.
- Communication Skills: Ability to convey complex data concepts simply.
What's in the Shippo package?
- Healthcare coverage for medical, dental, and vision (90% covered by the company, incl. dependents).
- 3 Volunteer Days Off (VTOs)
- WFH stipend to set up your home office
- Dedicated programs, coaching, tools, and resources for your professional and career growth as well as an individual learning stipend for your personal and focused growth
- Fun team meetups through our Shippos everywhere program that includes regular team and company off-sites throughout the year as well as gatherings with your local Shippos
Our Compensation Shippolicy:
The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: financial budgets, work experience, training, transferable skills, business needs, and market value. The base pay salary ranges are subject to change and may be modified in the future. Total compensation for this role will include, equity, medical, dental, vision and other benefits noted in our Shippos “package” section.
Sail through the process:
Here at Shippo, we celebrate inclusivity and are committed to creating equal access to opportunities for people from all backgrounds, perspectives and geographies. These values define who we are and everything we do. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply. If you need assistance, or a reasonable accommodation during the application and recruiting process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shippos in the wild:
Our people, much like the packages we help ship, are all over the world. This means, through our remote-first program, “Shippos Everywhere”, our roles can be based anywhere in the US with the exception of Delaware, Nevada, Ohio, Oregon, Hawaii, New Mexico and West Virginia and many roles can be based internationally. For locations outside of the US and Ireland, the employment contracts are powered by Remote.com (all Shippo perks still apply - including equity!). What we want to emphasize is that you can be successful at Shippo regardless of location.