Senior Software Engineer
Sunnyside is the #1 platform for mindful drinking.
Nearly one in three US adults are categorized as excessive drinkers, yet fewer than 1% get help to improve their drinking habits. We know why.
There's a huge gap in the alcohol health market for the millions of consumers who enjoy drinking and have no desire to quit entirely, yet could nonetheless benefit from building a healthier relationship with alcohol.
Sunnyside fills this gap with a digital therapeutic proven to help anyone who regularly drinks improve their overall health and wellness by changing their relationship with alcohol. We take a differentiated approach by focusing on moderation and mindfulness rather than complete sobriety, providing a much-needed alternative for the millions of adults looking to cut back.
We've got a rapidly growing base of highly engaged paying customers, a vibrant member community, best-in-class engagement and strong retention. And we're just getting started.
Just as Calm built a billion dollar business by opening a new popular wellness category around proactive mental health, we'll do the same for alcohol-related wellness.
We're well funded by top investors including Uncork Capital, Adjacent VC, Nir Eyal, Mike Lee (founder of MyFitnessPal), and James Park (founder of Fitbit) We're perfectly positioned to establish ourselves as the category leader in the growing mindful drinking space. Help us make it happen.
About the role
We're looking for a senior software engineer to help us take our product experience to the next level, create solutions to scale other engineer’s efforts, and to support our growing base of members. You'll build new features end-to-end, and be an owner of key business logic and systems spanning from database and backend app logic, to web and iOS. After the first few months, you will also be expected to share Pagerduty rotation and be on-call, as well as come up with scalable solutions such as general libraries, architecture, or automation. This role will be about an equal 1/3 of devops, backend, and frontend/iOS.
This a unique opportunity to get involved in the early stages with a fast-growing company, while having a positive impact on a huge group of people. It’s going to be a fun ride.
You're scrappy and entrepreneurial, with a get sh** done attitude. You thrive in ambiguity and love pushing the boundaries of what's technically possible, without losing sight of the practical need to move quickly and ship quality code. You're excited to work heads-down to do whatever it takes to get new features out the door, with an ownership mindset. You should want to tell us what we should build next, vs. expecting someone to simply dictate tasks to you.
Startup experience is not required, but an understanding of what may be required, especially during the early days, is necessary. This is going to be a fast-paced, exciting, fulfilling role which could grow into something huge.
We're a mission-driven company with a passion for this space, and are looking to build a team that can build deep empathy for our users and is genuinely excited about the problem we're solving.
- Work with other engineers to create platform-level software solutions and infrastructure-level architectures and solutions that scales other engineer’s time and effort. Some of these examples include api library wrappers with caching policies, general queue infrastructure with distributed rate limiter, command-line level automation that scaffolds a necessarily infrastructure on AWS.
- Gather product requirements from the product team to define a high-level architecture, design and document a software solution, implement, and support the post-release lifecycle of the developed product.
- Be responsible for planning the resources and tools necessarily to deliver the solution.
- Be responsible for the uptime, observability, logging, and monitoring of the released product.
- 8+ years of software development experience, ideally in a B2C company
- Experience with devops, setting up infrastructure automation, setting up scaffolding, while using technologies such as Pulumi or Terraform.
- Experience with setting up build automation or CI environment.
- Experience with being on call or Pagerduty and ability to create observability solutions such as dashboarding and monitoring.
- Experience building a complete user-facing feature end-to-end, from backend to frontend.
- Experience with React, with understanding of functional components and using hooks.
- Bonus: Early stage startup experience (i.e. Pre-seed, seed or Series A)
- Try Sunnyside at https://www.sunnyside.co or on the App Store
- Read reviews on the App Store