Security Software Engineer
Software Security Engineerat Tailscale
Tailscale builds software that makes it easy to connect and secure devices, no matter where they are. Every day, banks and multinational companies use Tailscale to protect their corporate networks. Hobbyists and start-ups trust Tailscale to collaborate and share access to tooling. We're building a future for the Internet that's easy, small and safe, like it used to be. Founded in 2019 and fully distributed, we're backed by Accel, HeavyBit, and Uncork Capital.
We’re seeking a talented software engineer, specializing in security and privacy, to help grow our product security team. We’re looking for people who can move Tailscale forward while making it safer to use. The abilities to think on your feet, collaborate with highly technical teams, and be comfortable working asynchronously are essential.
- Improve the security properties of Tailscale by identifying opportunities for security and privacy features, bug fixes, and defense-in-depth, and implementing them across our codebase
- Audit Tailscale features for technical security weaknesses, identifying mitigations or solutions, and driving them towards resolution
- Support engineering decisions with threat modeling and security analysis and expertise
- Proficiency developing in at least one programming language (Tailscale uses Go)
- Proficiency developing for at least one application platform (e.g. iOS, Android, web, Windows, macOS, Linux)
- Prior experience in a safety-related technical role, e.g.
- application security or application platform security
- infrastructure security
- security operations
- penetration testing
- threat modeling and prioritization
- user experience design or research
- digital forensics and incident response
- Knowledge of operating system internals and security mechanisms
- Knowledge of cryptographic primitives and protocols
- Knowledge of common networking protocols
- Ability to give and process constructive feedback
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Flexibility to adjust to the dynamic nature of a startup
For this position, our target salary range is $145,000–$265,000 USD (paid in your local currency). As a company, we strive to maintain fair and equitable compensation practices within our team across all roles and all levels.
What We Offer
- An inclusive, flexible environment where you can be your authentic self. We recognize the impact diverse voices and backgrounds have on the growth of our people, our product, and our company. And that flexibility in how and when you work empowers our team to balance work and life.
- A competitive total compensation package. This includes base salary and an equity incentive plan.
- Comprehensive group benefits with no waiting period. Take advantage of coverage for health, vision, dental, and more for you and your family!
- Remote-first with the opportunity to work from anywhere—enjoy a change of scenery wherever you can get wifi and join our company retreats with fellow Tailscalars!
- Support for your personal and professional development. Grow your career thoughtfully with $1500 USD annually for professional development, leverage our conference budget to learn from experts in your field, or take advantage of mentorship, coaching, and internal promotion opportunities.
- Paid time off and a healthy work-life balance. Take advantage of 4 weeks of vacation each year, uncapped sick time when you need it, and support for any situation life throws your way!
- A build-your-own home office setup. You choose your own company-owned laptop (MAC or PC), receive a monthly home internet reimbursement, and $1000 USD to customize your workstation to make it your own.
- Generous parental leave program from your first day. We care about your life outside of work and encourage new parents to take advantage of parental leave top-ups for up to 26 weeks.